At around 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, the Powell Volunteer Fire Department responded to a garage fire at 927 Lane 11H. The garage was quickly doused, but the owner, Jerry Danko, decided to let it burn. So, the boys from the fire department obliged him.
In a few minutes, the garage was ablaze.
“We’re just going to let it go,” said Chief Joey Darrah, “and use it as a training exercise for our guys.”
Capt. Sam Rodriguez pointed a thermal imager at the building as the heat intensified — 600 degrees Fahrenheit, 800, 1,000...With each passing moment, the heat grew more intense.
In the imager, the fire looked like an big orange teardrop.
Soon the garage was engulfed in flames, assaulting the sky with a thick, inky column of smoke.
To prevent surrounding vegetation and a power pole from catching on fire, Devin Self hoses it down. Self’s partner, Delray Jones, steadies the high-pressure hose behind him.